Skip to main content


Burning Questions

May I burn trash?

No. It is illegal in the state of Oregon to burn trash, and can be up to a $5,000.00 dollar fine per occurance.

What may I burn?

You may burn wood products only which include yard debris and tree trimmings during open burn season and with a permit.

May I have a fire on the beach?

Fires on the beach are controlled by Oregon State Parks. Call 1-800-551-6949 for more information.

Do not light a fire in piles of drift wood or around the beach grass.

Always extinguish your fire properly before leaving. Do NOT bury your campfire, put it out with water. Fire buried in sand can smolder for days or even weeks.

For full list of regulations, download them under the burn permit tab. 

General Questions

What ways can I volunteer at COCFRD?

We have several ways people can volunteer. Even if you can't be a firefighter or an emergency medical responder, we have support roles that are vital. Some of the ways people can volunteer are as a firefighter, emergency medical responder, driver, rescuer, and supporting the emergency staff. Check out our volunteer page.

How often should I check my smoke detector batteries?

At least twice a year (when you change your clocks). It's better to check them once a month.

How often should I clean my chimney?

You should clean your chimney or have it cleaned at least once a year. If you use wood heat as your primary heat, cleaning more frequently is advisable.

Should I clean my pellet stove chimney/exhaust?

Yes, the chimney pipe from your pellet stove should be cleaned at least once a year. More frequently if under heavy use. Refer to your manufacturer's instructions.

Does COCFRD check car seats?

Unfortunatly, not at this time. We do not have any personnel certified.

How do I dispose of old medications?

The Newport Police Department will dispose of your old medications. Contact them at 541-574-3348 for more information.

How do I dispose of sharps?

Dahl Disposal offers sharps disposal containers. Contact them at 541-563-3888 for more information.